Monday, February 11, 2013

Strolen Art Watch, Wenlok Jug Guilty Pleas, Who Gets The Reward & Stanley Spencer Painting Remains Outstanding ?

Wenlok jug pair plead guilty

editorial image

A man charged with the theft of the Wenlok Jug pleaded guilty at Luton Crown Court today (February 11).
Ronald Nash, 23, of Pitwood Green in Tadworth, Surrey was charged with handling stolen property and being concerned in the supply of class A drugs after Bedfordshire Police launched a covert operation to retrieve the jug.
The 14th century jug was taken from a high-security display cabinet at Stockwood Discovery Centre in May last year.
Louis Kybert, 25, from Surrey, who was arrested in the same operation pleaded guilty to the possession of two stun guns and being concerned in the supply of class A drugs.
The Wenlok Jug is valued at £750,000, is made of bronze, weighs 6.1kgs and is decorated with coats of arms, badges and the inscription: “MY LORD WENLOK”.
A third man aged 47 was arrested in connection with this investigation but he was released without further action.
Nash and Kybert will be sentenced at Luton Crown Court on March 15.
DI Martin Peters said: “This was a high profile case which involved the theft of a national treasure and attracted a lot of public interest. The amount of evidence gathered by officers has meant that the offenders had no alternative but to plead guilty.”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Stanley Spencer reward offer of £10,000 is false and anyone trying to collect it will be arrested. Also, the value of the stolen Stanley Spencer painting is between £500,000 and £1 million so a reward of £10,000, even though it is false, is only 1% of the value. Anyone saying they represent the victim in the Stanley Spencer painting theft or the insurance company is in reality an Undercover Police Officer so be warned.