At midday on Thursday an armed convoy, with a police helicopter flying above it, took him from Belmarsh prison to a north London cemetery when he showed them where to dig.
Jones' solicitor was present to witness the operation and police took photographs which may form part of the evidence against him.
I understand that stolen properly was recovered and taken away in several boxes.
In a letter from his prison cell before the excavation, Jones told me: "I've instructed my solicitor to tell the police Flying Squad that I want to give back my share of the Hatton Garden burglary. They said it's in motion.
"I now understand that the police said that the prison Belmarsh won't release me to the police. What a load of bull.
"The police can't want it back, as I'm the only person in the world to know where it is deep down. I want to do the right thing and give it back."
He added: "If I don't get the chance to go out under armed escort, I hope some poor sod who's having it hard out there with his or her family find the lot and have a nice life, as you never know, Martin, people do find things, don't they?"
Jones is one of four men who have pleaded guilty to conspiracy to rob the Hatton Garden Safe Deposit centre in London over the Easter weekend. Five others pleaded not guilty and are to stand trial next month.
A gang were let into the premises, then drilled through the vault wall before ransacking more than 70 boxes of jewellery, gems and cash.
Police originally said £10m worth of property had been stolen, then revised the figure to £20m.
In a court hearing last week prosecutor Philip Evans said police had just recovered a significant amount of property, but there were still many millions missing.
Hatton Garden Raider: I'll Show Where Loot Is
He fears if he is not allowed to reveal where he hid the haul, someone else might find it.
Jones wrote to me in a letter from his prison cell: "I've instructed my solicitor...to tell the police Flying Squad that I want to give back my share of (the) Hatton Garden burglary, they said it's in motion.
"I now understand that the police said that the prison Belmarsh won't release me to the police. What a load of bull.
"The police can't want it back, as I'm the only person in the world to no (know) where it is, deep down. I want to do the right thing and give it back."
Jones is one of four men who have pleaded guilty to conspiracy to burgle the Hatton Garden safe deposit centre in London over the Easter bank holiday weekend. They are awaiting sentence.
Five others have denied involvement and are to stand trial next month.
Four others are accused of money laundering and have yet to enter pleas.
This week a pre-trial hearing heard that police now believed that up to £20m worth of jewellery, gems and cash was stolen in the raid and "a significant amount" had still not been recovered.
Previously they said the haul was "in excess of £10m".
Jones wrote: "They are trying to make me look a bad person.
"I'm trying my best to put things right and for some reason they don't want me to give it back.
"If I don't get the chance to go out under armed escort, I hope some poor sod who's having it hard out there with his or her family find the lot and have a nice life, as you never know, Martin, people do find things, don't they?"
Prisoners are allowed to be taken from their cells to help police investigations, but under strict rules and security.
Jones is held in the high-risk wing of Belmarsh jail and subject to more restrictions than most prisoners, but other high-profile inmates have been taken out briefly for a variety of reasons.
He wrote: "You would have thought the police would have jumped with joy, but for some reason which I don't know, they are not that interested.
"They took that sex killer Levi Belfour (Bellfield) a few years ago, he showed the police where he killed those women.
"So, there you go, Martin, a sex killer and there's me, a 58-year-old burnt-out burglar. Maybe they think I'm going to get (a) hit squad to get me out, my God how stupid."
In a second letter, three weeks later, Jones wrote: "I haven't heard from the police concerning the stuff I want to give back.
"I'm just waiting for the police to take me out giving them back part of the stolen goods.
"They won't let me know if they (are) coming to take me out. Security reasons.
"They better hurry up, we don't want anyone finding it, do we?"
The Ministry of Justice said the issue was one for Scotland Yard to answer.
A Scotland Yard spokesman said: "We are not prepared to discuss an ongoing investigation."
More Loot From Hatton Garden Raid Recovered
The development emerged at a bail hearing for plumber Hugh Doyle, one of the 13 defendants charged over the heist at the safe deposit centre in London.
Prosecutor Philip Evans told Woolwich Crown Court: "Earlier this week officers investigating the crime recovered a significant amount of additional stolen property.
"But there remains many millions of pounds of jewellery still outstanding. A very significant quantity of stolen property remains outstanding."
Originally police estimated the value of the stolen jewellery, gems and cash at £10m, but earlier the week Mr Evans said it was now thought to be between £15m and £20m.
Mr Doyle, 48, is one of five men who are to stand trial next month after denying charges of conspiracy to burgle and disposing of stolen goods.
He was refused bail.
Four other men have admitted burglary and are awaiting sentence.
Four more defendants have been charged with handling stolen property but have yet to enter pleas.
U.S. offers $5 million reward to stop Islamic State from stealing antiques
The State Department announced the effort, known as the “Reward for Justice” program at an event at the Metropolitan Museum in New York City. The department will work with other nations to ensure the extremist group does not erase Iraq and Syria’s rich cultural history.
Last month the FBI issued a warning urging art dealers in the U.S. to take extra precautions when buying artifacts from the Middle East, citing evidence that collectors may have been offered stolen antiques plundered by the terrorist group.
The militants have used the money form sales of stolen antiquities to fund terrorist activities.
In June, the House passed a bill to stop the militants from profiting off the sale of stolen artifacts. The bill would give the Obama administration the authority to impose import restrictions on antiquities coming in from Syria. The bill is still awaiting a vote in the Senate.
The stolen antiques have been dubbed “blood antiques,” adapted from the term “blood diamonds” used to refer to gems that financed fighters in African wars from Angola to Sierra Leone.
Gardaí probing theft of art from stately home's collection
It’s an effort to remind modern readers of Nazi crimes, as the number of Holocaust survivors dwindles and European far right groups are stirring up nationalist sentiment. The publication Wednesday could also revive efforts to return artworks stolen by the Nazis to Jewish families.
“Artworks should never be quarry,” French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius wrote in a preface to the new book. “They constitute a common good of humanity. This truth is timeless; the publication of this work is an occasion to remember it.”
A portrait by Goya and a landscape by Sisley are among 1,376 works by Italian, Dutch, French and German masters that adorned Goering’s home in Carinhall near Berlin.
It also includes Goering’s carefully maintained ledger, with handwritten comments about the quality of the work and notes from Nazi officials about where they were taken and when. The ledger was among documents seized by French forces from Germany at the end of the war, according to the French Foreign Ministry.
With guidance from art historians, Goering gathered a museum-worthy collection spanning leading genres of Western European art. He repeatedly visited occupied Paris, a prominent global art market, during the war.
At the end of the war, some of the works were found by American troops, and the French government worked to recover artworks pillaged from France. Many works were restored to Jewish families, but others remain in government collections, their original owners never found.
Historian Jean-Marc Dreyfus, who compiled the catalog, is now resuscitating efforts to restore the artworks to their owners.
Fabius described the collection as “an odious hunting trophy.”
The Billionaire, the Picassos and a $30 Million Gift to Shame a Middleman
Irish National Extradited on Rhino Horn Charges
A Waco, Texas, federal grand jury indicted Sheridan and a co-defendant last year on charges they conspired to buy and sell the rhinoceros horns and on violations of the Lacey Act. Sheridan, the co-defendant and Michael Slattery Jr. bought the horns from a Texas taxidermist and then sold them in New York, according to the indictment.
Slattery pleaded guilty in 2013 to conspiracy to violate the Lacey Act. He was described by the Justice Department as a member of The Rathkeale Rovers.
Also known as Irish Travelers, Europol says this nomadic, tight-knit extended family group has been involved in an epidemic of raids on museums in Europe involving the theft of rhinoceros horns. The group allegedly leverages the rising price for rhinoceros horns on the black market to be used for traditional medicines and carving.
Slattery admitted that he traveled within the United States between May 2010 and April 2011 to purchase rhinoceros horns, and then resold them to private individuals or consigned them to auction houses in the United States.
Sheridan and his unnamed co-defendant are also charged with making a fraudulent bill of sale in an attempt to make their purchase of the rhinoceros horns appear legal. Sheridan appeared in Federal Court on Monday and his arraignment and detention hearing is scheduled for Thursday, the government said.
If convicted, Sheridan and the co-defendant face up to five years in prison and $250,000 in fines.
"Rhino horn trafficking is having a devastating effect on the rhino and the allegations facing this individual are just the type of illegal behavior that is fueling an international market for horns. We must stop it in its tracks," John Cruden, assistant attorney general for the Justice Department's Environment and Natural Resources Division, said in a statement Tuesday.
9 Things You Didn’t Know About Art TheftHow much do you know about stolen art? Theft and forgery in the world of art is actually big business. Read our article to find out nine things you didn't know about art theft.
Most art is stolen from private homes
A total of 50,000 to 100,000 works of art are taken by art thieves each year
The United States and the UK each employ an “Art Crime Team”
Michelangelo is among the world’s most famous forgers
A family now famous for their art forgeries lived in abject poverty
The largest art heist in United States history ended in no arrests
One of the most famous art heists in history took place in broad daylight
Stéphane Breitweiser was given only 26 months for stealing over two hundred works of art
Buyers can take steps to protect themselves against forged or stolen art
Moscow police detained three accomplices in the robbery, during which the pensioner was stolen antique dinnerware, made world-famous jewelry house fabergé.
On Thursday simultaneously in two locations, the staff of the 18th division of the Moscow criminal investigation Department detained the two suspects are 30-year and 50-year-old residents of Moscow, reports the official website of the Ministry of internal Affairs of the Russian Federation.
One of the detainees had been convicted for committing robberies. Later in his apartment and found the stolen property.
And on Friday around noon at the intersection of Nametkin and Union operatives together with the crew of the traffic police and employees of private security GU MVD detained the third suspect is 45-year-old Muscovite.
The investigation began on August 27, when the police asked the 73-year-old resident of the capital, a statement about the robbery. He said that when he heard the doorbell, opened the front door. Immediately after that, his apartment was raided by four intruders in masks.
«Threatening with a knife to the victim and his cousin, the robbers tied them up with duct tape, cracked the safe and took money, jewelry and personal belongings worth about three million rubles,» — said in a press release.
In addition, criminals have stolen Antiques: tea set, Faberge, silver service of the XVIII century, a sword and a pistol, inlaid with precious stones and silver, and antique paintings. The exact cost of the Antiques are difficult to determine, approximately several tens of millions of rubles, reports «Interfax».
In fact the incident a criminal case under item 162 of the criminal code («Robbery»).
Antique cups and saucers stolen from Osterley Park House
They were taken from a locked cabinet in a room that was closed to the public due to a wedding at the house.
The pieces have images of Russian ruler Catherine the Great and Prussian king Frederick William II, and were made between 1770 and 1775.
The cups and saucers, which are made of Berlin porcelain, are described as dark blue and painted 'en grisaille' with heavy gilding, flower sprays, finials and branch handles.
Det Con Ray Swan, from the Mets Art's and Antiques Unit, said: "The cups and saucers are of significant historical value, we believe that whoever took them specifically targeted these pieces.
"We would urge anyone who may know of their whereabouts to come forward as they may hold vital information to help us catch whoever was responsible for this burglary.